Tracking and a little about me.

Hey,

So I think I've had a total of two "real" views so far.  I just figured out the whole "don't track my page views" thing on blogger.  So maybe now we will see if I actually have anyone lurking in blogosphere that might be reading the drivel that I'm spouting here.

Anyway, so I thought I'd do a little intro of myself instead of ranting about anything today.

My description seems to be vague, and that's not just to be a jerk or anything.  I made a conscious decision to separate my blogging life from my real life.  I have some advantages over some people who are in the skeptical/atheist camp, in that I don't hide it, and to almost everyone I know now I am and have always been a skeptic.  Sure, I've got some people who have elected to ignore that fact about me in my life as well, or those that haven't every asked about it.  And I'm happy to leave that level of philosophical discourse out of my "real" life.

Be that as it may, I work for an organization that (in itself) would not care about my POV, but our company works with a lot of religious organizations (Christian, mostly) that may not be so understanding.  Now I don't feel that there might be any real issues with my position, but at the same time a little subterfuge is a small price to pay to keep things copacetic on that front.  So my name, occupation, family details, etc., are going to be vague at best for so long as I decide to be that way.

I grew up in a typical American christian household.  We went to church most Sundays, did the holidays and what-not.  My maternal grandmother was (for all intents and purposes) a near "ideal" christian.  She did not evangelize, though she led a good life, had lots of kids, went to church, helped to poor, sick and needy, and even challenged the local bishops when she thought they were not being good or reasonable people.  We went to see her often as a kid.  But my parents were more liberal minded.  My mother was a feminist (and the reason I stopped going to church in 6th grade) and my father was (at one time) a guy who went though the motions but never talked about god or pushed or preached any of it.

My sister is a (I believe literally) a hard atheist.  She has been "out" since she was probably 14 or 15.  She is very intelligent and multi-degreed.  She is passionate about her atheism and has had to face some discrimination because of those beliefs in her life.  Now, she can be more confrontational than I am as well, and I will, generally speaking, take things as they come.  I won't take someone apart unless they threaten me with hell or eternal damnation (in a malicious way).  I don't mind people praying (though I usually wish they would do more - I see praying as a kind of slactivism) for me, but I won't join them (though I will be respectful). 

I am into tech and I've been messing with computer and technology for over 30 years.  My dad was in sales and believed in early adoption, so we had our first computer at our house when I was about 8 years old.  I do what I need to to stay on top of trends and what's out an available (lately I've been doing more with phones and tablets - but that's the direction things are moving).  But generally speaking there are very few things that I'll be the first to get.  But if you want to know about what's the best of something (or should I wait for XXX product [almost always yes]) then I can usually give you an informed opinion of the device or service.

I am into health and nutrition (and skeptical of a lot of the junk that gets repeated in that field).  I am also into...  OK, I don't need to make some laundry list of stuff I'm into today.  This is already my longest post and I feel like I'm going to start rambling if I go on.

One last thing.  If you are reading this, feel free to comment, even if it's just to say "hi".  I'm even open to sharing my ideas on anything you can come up with.  I don't think I have any need to do a whole lot of monitoring of comments.  I'll limit that to "real" spam if I see it.  I (for now) am trying to make this blog polite.  I don't care if you curse or swear, but I'd ask if you'd only use it when it's necessary (and not just for emphasis when another word will do).  But do what you want.  I'm not your mom.

Comments

Popular Posts